742 Saint Dunstan Way Winter Park, FL 32792

+1 321 464 9595

2017 Deadline For U.S. Tax Obligations Is June 15, 2018

With the June 15 tax deadline approaching, you need to distinguish between paying your taxes and filing your tax
returns. Let’s get started.

If you live in the U.S., by April 17, you had to:

  1. Pay your taxes
  2. File your tax return or file for an extension

If you live abroad, you have an automatic extension to file until June 15. Note, however, that you still needed
to pay your taxes by April 17 to avoid interest.

Deadline Deadline Date
Pay tax due without interest April 17
File tax return (with automatic extension); Pay tax without penalties (but with interest) June 15
File tax returns if applied for extension October 15

File Returns

Those living abroad have an automatic extension to file your tax return until June 15. This extension
is different than the “applied for” extension through October 15.

If you applied for an “applied for” extension, you must file your tax returns by October 15.

Penalties for failure to timely file (including extensions), generally are 5.0% of net tax amount due per month, subject
to a cap.

Pay Taxes

You must pay your Federal and State taxes by April 17 to avoid interest. If you do not pay your taxes by that date, you
will likely owe interest.

You must pay your Federal and State taxes by June 15 to avoid penalties. These penalties can be substantial (for
instance, penalties for failure to timely pay, generally are 0.5% of net tax amount due per month, subject to a cap). It
can also affect the amount that your employer will withhold from your wages in future years.

But wait, how do I know how much tax I owe if I haven’t done my return yet?

It does sound odd that you must pay your taxes before you’ve done the final tax calculation. Nonetheless, it is true.
The IRS expects you to either (1) have your return done by the date your taxes are due or (2) estimate your
taxes due and pay your taxes based on your estimate.

If you estimate, you should estimate conservatively (when in doubt, estimate you owe the higher amount of tax).
Otherwise, if it ends up that you underpaid your taxes, you will likely incur interest and penalties. In our opinion,
you are always better off overpaying your taxes (thus avoiding interest and penalties) and filing for a refund than
underpaying and owing interest and penalties.

I hope you found this helpful. For more information on this and other topics:

Visit us at: www.lagattatax.com
Like. Follow. Share. Facebook: www.facebook.com/lagattatax
Like. Follow. Share. Instagram: www.instagram.com/lagattatax
Like. Follow. Share. LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/lagattatax

Email us at info@lagattatax.com with questions and we promise to get back to
you promptly.

Check out our REFERRAL PROGRAM! Email us (info@lagattatax.com) to register and
start receiving $50 for each new client referred. Sign up on our webpage (www.lagattatax.com)
for a free consultation with a tax expert. All consultations are free and confidential.

Cover Art: Pixabay

write on livinginperu

Leave a Comment

Su dirección de correo no se hará público. Los campos requeridos están marcados *

Scroll to Top